What calls you?
What is a Vision Fast?
A vision fast is a powerful and spiritual undertaking that has been practised for hundreds of years. Although often associated with Native American culture, Mohammed, Jesus and the Biblical prophets went to the desert to fast and receive their vision.
As a rite-of-passage, the Vision Fast addresses the need to let go of outmoded ways of being and become open to new beginnings.
For thousands of years different forms of the Vision Fast have been practiced by various tribal cultures throughout the world. In modern society we have forgotten our inherent need to honour and acknowledge important times of change and renew our lives. The Vision Fast ‘Let Life In’ Course offers you the valuable and unique opportunity to meet yourself.
There are numerous reason why people embark on a Vision Fast. Among these are to:
mark a significant life event
to heal and release past emotional wounds
to acknowledge loss and move through grief
to celebrate the transition into marriage
to mark the end of a relationship
to release feelings of guilt and shame and ‘feel clean.’
to begin again
to mark oneself as a ‘man’ or ‘woman.’
to find work that has more fulfilment and meaning
to reconnect with the earth
to discover a deeper meaning about one’s contribution to one’s community and relationship to Life.
Please note that ‘Vision Quest’ is an anthropological term which is used to describe ceremonies undertaken within a Native American tradition. I prefer to use the term ‘Vision Fast’ to differentiate from and to show respect for the ceremonial practices of the North American indigenous people. I have chosen to term Vision Quest as the name of my website, as this term is more well known and recognised.I would feel very sad if this choice created any feelings of disrespect or upset and make my apologies for this now.
“THE QUESTION IS NOT HOW TO GET CURED, BUT HOW TO LIVE.” Joseph Conrad
The Vision Fast Ceremony is an ancient pan-cultural initiation that encourages and supports the awakening of your own wisdom, personal vision and purpose for being on this earth. You shall work in the best way to find your intention for your life and explore what has been holding you back.
The course is ran over 9 full days, consisting of different exercises which call for inner exploration, sharing and being safely witnessed in the truth of your journey. This is an ancient and safe process called Way of Council. This process offers a way of communicating that encourages attentive listening, as well as honest and compassionate expression. It makes room for new insights and understandings, wisdom in decision making and healing. Council recognises that each voice needs to be heard, that every person has a gift, a story to share and a piece of the whole.
In the middle of the course is solo time. You will spend three days alone in nature in self generated ceremony. This is the most potent part of the process, where you shall sow the seeds for your vision. You shall be fully supported and coached to do this.
The course challenges you to wake up, to consciously engage, to go to your edges, to push your boundaries and to find courage in your vulnerabilities, one stepping stone at a time. Completing a Vision Fast is a significant accomplishment that cannot be easily dismissed. Living alone and fasting for three days and nights changes how we experience ourselves and life. Taking strength from the sunrise at the end of a night-long vigil marks a new beginning. Inside that sunrise lie the seeds of new hope and the rebirth of a purposeful life. This course is the starting point for transformational change.
Embarking on this course is a way for you to learn more of who you are and to set a powerful vision and intent for how you want to show up in your life.
This special course is full of discovery- profound and sublime, different for everyone and guaranteed to create experiences that shall stay with you for a lifetime and act as a reminder of who you really are.
Why go on a Fast?
To summarise, though impossible to list them all, there are a few broad reasons underpinning why people seek to undertake a vision fast:
- As a rite of passage – A Rite of Passage can mark any ending or beginning – A divorce, new relationship, facing difficult emotions, making a choice or finding a new career. Whatever boundary is crossed, this process offers a way to observe the welcoming or the letting go of an internal or external change.
- To discover direction, gifts, purpose, or vision – Your gift or “medicine” reveals itself when an individual discovers their passion and a profound sense of purpose is realised through actioning this dream
- For renewal or reconnection to something lost – The passage of time and demands of daily life can result in a sense of loss. In a vision fast, the rules, roles, and routines of normal life are left behind, and — in both simple and profound ways — we experience a resetting of our compass, a renewal of the core values and commitments that serve to guide us through life. What we find can bring us back to life.
Is there an inner restlessness you have been ignoring?
- Are you in touch with the core values of your inner compass?
- Are you yearning for more?
- Are you passionate about your life and your work?
- What needs to be healed in you?
- How do you hear your truth?
- Do you sometimes struggle to feel like you are a ‘real’ man or woman?
- Do you feel you live your life with meaning?
You are ready for this…